Friday 15 February 2013

Reading

I mentioned in my last Slow Living post that I'd bought an e-Reader. Just a small one. It has however, already had a noticeable impact. I read quite a bit, but not in a sensible way. In the same way that I have oodles of half-made crochet projects lying around, I also have piles of half-read books just waiting to be finished.



I usually have about six or seven books on the go at once. I like to dip in and out until a story finally hooks me and I finish the rest of that book in one go. Then it's back to dipping in and out. Sometimes it can be a couple of years between dips (which makes library-borrowing a bit annoying), but I rarely forget a plot. This means that I also rarely reread a book as after a page or two I remember what happens and put it down.



All this is fine if you have infinite shelf space, but I don't. It's also coming to dawn on me that I'm slowly amassing a huge pile of paper and that this might be a bit wasteful. Hence the e-reader. I'm sure it wasn't made in a way that is any more eco-friendly than chopping down trees and making paper, but eventually, given how much I read, it should even out. At least I hope so. Also, so far, all the books I've wanted as e-books have been way cheaper than the real thing.


Anyway, to give you an idea of the scale of the problem, here's what I'm reading right now. I recently finished Before I go to Sleep, by S J Watson, which I read in a couple of sittings, and so now I'm back to this pool of half-reads until another one hooks me...

The Children's Book - A S Byatt
Pure - Andrew Miller
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Dominion - C J Sansom
The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Have you read any of these?

Oh yeah, and a new toy needs a new cover, right? It was also a good excuse to crack open some funky-coloured mercerised cotton that's been in the yarn pile for far too long!


PS - The e-reader will never replace real books completely. Not for me. What would I read in the bath...?

PPS - Kobo, Kindle, Sony, Nook, if you're reading this - waterproof e-readers. That's the next gap in the market that you need to fill.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Before I go to Sleep :) Have also read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, and some others by him. I blogged about the books I read in January, well - listed them! http://blog.emele-photography.com/in-january-i-read/2013/02/04/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an e-reader, but I do see how they're a good idea for certain situations. Personally I LOVE books... the smell, the feel, the non-electronic-ness... since I'm on a computer all day, nearly every day, I think the paper book means even more to me than it used to.

    I like your case. :-)

    ReplyDelete